Making Church Road in Gatley one-way is an idea that’ been floating around for a few years and we’ve been asking council officers to take another look at it, following concerns raised by residents about safety at the Horse & Farrier junction.
Although the Police have only recorded one accident at the junction in the last five years, we know it’s a difficult one and there are fairly regular minor collisions that probably don’t get reported to the Police. It’s certainly a junction you would never design that way if you were doing it today!
The idea is to make Church Road one-way from the Horse & Farrier up to Styal Road. The two big benefits are:
- Better safety at the H&F junction
- Ability to fit in more parking spaces along Church Road as you could angle them
However, there are issues too:
- Traffic that currently goes down Church Road would come along Park Road and then turn right. That means Park and Altrincham Roads getting busier, perhaps with more speeding. It also means work to increase the capacity of the Longley Lane crossroads – at the moment not many vehicles turn right from Park Road so it doesn’t cause problems, but the junction isn’t designed for lots of cars turning right. Without works (which would be pretty expensive) we could get long queues up Park Road waiting to turn right.
- No bus service along Church Road towards Stockport. Anyone wanting to catch a bus in that direction would need to walk to Park Road, Northenden Road or Gatley Road – including elderly residents in Homebeck House and Guardian Lodge who may have limited mobility.
- Anyone living off Church Road (e.g. Elm, Cedar, Hawthorn, Beech, Burnside) would use Oakwood Avenue to go towards Cheadle, so that junction could get even busier.
- Not clear whether cyclists would have to take the long way round – and Church Road could be made more dangerous.
- Long detour for anyone driving into the village from Baxter Park, Park Road etc.
It’s early days, and we have to be clear that even if there was agreement, we still don’t have the money that would be needed to do everything needed to make the change, but we’d like to get people’s thoughts on the idea at this stage.